Watching Rachel Grow

Monday, October 22, 2007

The perfect firestorms in S. California

Hello,

I'm interjecting into this precious blog to give you some not so precious news. Yes, it is very scary here right now. I watched from our bedroom window last night as the hills to the West of us burned and lit up the night sky. I barely slept and when I did awake this morning I awoke to more news of fires in more places around - not only far away places - but all over Santa Clarita. Tim finally came home around noon today very unwillingly thinking that this was no big deal, me over reacting and that the fire to the West of us was MILES away..........how about 1-2 miles!!! About 10-15 min's after he was home - the police patrolled our neighborhood and told us to evacuate immediately. I admit - I panicked. In over 21 years of marriage and with your China doll and all of her memorabilia from China to hand down to her - where does one even BEGIN to pack not knowing if you will have a home to return to? Tim said: just pack what you need for the night. So, what did I do? Throw EVERYTHING that I could think of into the car: photo albums, ALL ADOPTION DOCUMENTS, souvenirs from China to hand down to Rachel when she is an adult, some food and clothes for Rachel, the cats and their food and med (one is diabetic), our meds, marriage certificates & other important documents, keepsakes, jewelry, and of course her Halloween costume (mustn't forget the Boo costume). We held refuge at a friends house (Racquel's). Even my other closest friend Laura was evacuate too and there with us. I told you we are the 3 musketeeresses. We were allowed back home today around 4:00pm with ID and are just keeping a careful eye and pulse on our surroundings. When you have a record drought for LA county, less than 3% humidity, and Santa Anna gusts up to 85 mph and then add just one spark FROM ANYTHING - and you get the perfect firestorm.

Going to bed........very weary here.

Hugs,

Kimberly

1 comment:

JackieMacD said...

Glad you're safe. If you need anything, we're a skip and a jump away.