Watching Rachel Grow

Thursday, August 30, 2007

THURSDAY - DADDY DAY & POLICE STATION DAY

Good morning to all overseas,

Another long day. We awoke early and had our breakfast all knowing (well, not Rachel) that this morning was to be Daddy day. Typical daily routine: At end of night after putting Rachel to bed I do dishes, restock diaper bag w/ supplies for next day, set out mine & Rachel's outfit, write in my journal to Rachel, and of course write in this blog to keep you all up to date. In morning I get up before children and put on my face paint (not sure why due to it being sweat all off by noon), wake Baba and hope he's out of shower before princess awakes. Last night we adjusted the Bijorn to fit Baba and gave him a few pointers. This morning princess awoke before Daddy - so we drank large bottle of milk (big eater) before breakfast. Then it was out the door for breakfast. Rachel was whiny today too :( After breakfast we very speedily loaded our princess into Bijorn while she screamed bloody murder through restaurant. As the two of them marched out the hotel lobby and walked down the sidewalk - what I thought I would feel was relief - but I almost teared up watching the two loves of my life leave me. I turned to walk back to the elevators and the front desk people were smiling at me.

Princess and Baba stayed gone for over 2 hours - must not be too bad. No rest tho for Mama - let friend/another adoptee borrow email to post her and her baby's (Celena) picture to family and friends. Cynthia has had it very rough: sick baby which she suspected - but didn't find out for two days that her baby Celena was in hospital for IV fluids and antibiotics just prior to her getting her and they actually spent last night back in ER!!!!! I gave her some pedialyte packages to mix and put into bottle for baby Celena :( Daddy returned while they were still here. Daddy was wringing wet w/ sweat and had very funny story. It seems that in China Baba's DO NOT carry their babies around - only the Mothers!!! Maybe I should have sent him out the door w/ receipt for Rachel along w/ bottles and etc? He said everyone approached him and said very vehemently "Where's you wife?!". Many tried to get him to take her out of Bijorn and try to get her to walk. They thought it more appropriate that Baba's push baby in stroller - more masculine I guess? He finally got irritated and put her on the sidewalk in park to show them that she would not walk. He said she plopped right down and started to cry - which made him actually very happy to more or less "show them". He said she reached out for him to take her which I know meant the world since he's been feeling a little blue over her attachment to me. If ANYONE even so much as looks at her - her lip quivers and she starts to cry. When we were in the police station - I took her out of Bijorn to sit her on my lap towards counter and she started screaming - right about this time the lady at counter took out her web cam and took her picture............our mouths just dropped open.....................MORTIFIED!!!!! Now, they'll probably think that we torture her.

We stayed in tonight to get some rest and give Rachel a break too. She needed it - she sat in floor and cried even w/ me beside her. I think she's not feeling so well either - so I gave her a little baby ibuprofen and she is fed, clean and went right out. Last night she thrashed around in crib all night - never woke - just tossed and turned.

Well, that just about covers it. We spoke to our parents earlier today - this was long overdue with the time change and all. I also sent out some emails - but during the sending mode - the pc froze up!!! I hope everyone got them. Tomorrow I get up early and go out w/ Janet (our guide) for Tai Chi (spelled correctly?) lessons and RELAXATION early and then to breakfast and then to temple to have Rachel blessed and off to Jade market ...................YAY shopping for Mama!!

Good night,

Mom GZ time = 10:12 pm

2 comments:

TaiwanMommy said...

Well, *I* didn't get any pictures and wish to protest!!

Sounds like Rachel is greiving. That's a good thing, even if it's hard to see. The restless sleep, anxious attachment.. they're part of that process.

Make no mistake that the road you'll walk in the next few months will be bumpy at times, as you're already seeing.. but the rewards are so great.

Now if you have a good tip for trying to convince Rachel's cousins Harper and Taelor that screaming is not a recreational activity, I'd be glad to hear it.

If I could hear. After those ear piercing shreiks!!

love,
FGMAV

gardeninglibrarian said...

I'm Cindy's niece Gabriela, and I've been regularly reading your blog. It's so exciting seeing all that's happened to your family and Cindy! Rachel looks so adorable in all her pretty pink clothing.

My family's all worried about little Celina and Cindy being there alone. And since Cindy doesn't have her computer, we're at a loss for information. Could you send us your email please? Ours is joeeg@earthlink.net